RECIPE: HEALTHY EGGS FLORENTINEFebruary 18, 2015 1:28 pm
Need breakfast food-spiration? This is a simple GLUTEN FREE healthy version of a popular Italian breakfast dish that is normally laden with butter and cream. It may be cooked in small individual dishes or one large gratin dish about 20-25cm across and serves 4.
- 500g spinach, washed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g ricotta cheese
- 8 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 25g Parmesan, grated
- 4 medium slices warm crusty brown bread
- In a large saucepan or frying pan, cook the spinach in batches, stirring frequently until it is wilted.
- Place in a colander until all the spinach is cooked, then squeeze dry, pressing out any excess water.
- Preheat the grill to high. Place the warm spinach leaves in four individual heatproof dishes or one large gratin dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the ricotta in a bowl and mix with the chopped basil leaves, if using, and season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully break the eggs over the spinach without breaking the yolks and dollop the ricotta around the sides with a little on top of the yolks.
- Scatter over the parmesan and place under the grill. Cook for 2-4 minutes until the eggs are just set but still soft in the middle.
- Serve straight away with warm bread.