RECIPE OF THE WEEK: CHICKEN, POMEGRANATE AND SPINACH SALADJuly 30, 2015 3:54 pm
Treat yourself to this week’s lavish salad, rich in colourful ingredients including calcium-packed spinach for strengthening your bones and lean, marinated chicken to pump up your protein intake. With a sweet kick of healthy honey and sharp hint of balsamic, the dressing alone is bursting with flavour and is the perfect accompaniment to smooth avocado, crisp spinach and crunchy red onion. Scattered with ruby pomegranate pearls, this dish is vibrant in colour and taste – perfect for a summer treat!
For the marinade:
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tsp garlic, crushed
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
6oz baby spinach
4 chicken breasts
Handful of pomegranate arils
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 avocado, chopped
For the dressing:
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp raw honey
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine the marinade ingredients and generously coat the chicken on both sides. Leave it in the fridge for a minimum of two hours, but longer if you can.
2. Place a ridged grill pan on medium-high heat and grill the chicken for about 5 minutes per side, turning once, until cooked through.
3. Whilst the chicken is cooking, combine the spinach, pomegranate arils, red onion and avocado in a big salad bowl.
4. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer to a chopping board, slice and mix in with the salad.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar, raw honey, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper and drizzle over the salad
6. Finally, serve and enjoy!