RECIPE OF THE WEEK: HOMEMADE WHOLESOME VEGGIE BURGER + SALADMay 21, 2015 5:18 pm
Treat yourself this bank holiday weekend with this week’s recipe for a homemade, gourmet veggie burger with a watercress and pear side salad. It may appear complicated from the ingredients but this burger is so simple and easy to make and will leave you with a wholesome and healthy meal, perfect as a sunny weekend lunch or a relaxed al fresco evening dinner.
High in protein and taste, chickpeas are a great way to get more fibre and minerals into your system, and sweetcorn (as well as being super sweet and juicy) can increase levels of ferulic acid in the body which helps fight off heart disease.
This recipe makes enough for four burgers.
For the veggie burger:
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 340g tin sweetcorn
- handful of coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the side salad:
- large bag or two handfuls of watercress
- handful of toasted flaked almonds
- 1 pear
Assemble the burger with:
- crusty wholegrain bread roll or brioche bun
- sliced gherkins
- tomatoes, sliced
1. First make the veggie burgers by draining the chickpeas and sweetcorn before placing in a food processor along with the coriander (including the stalks – they’re full of flavour), cumin, chilli flakes, crushed garlic and seasoning, then combine until smooth. Divide into 4 equal-sized burger-shaped discs before flattening lightly with your finger tips. Glaze with olive oil and then chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or until ready to use.
2. To prepare the side salad, place the watercress in a large bowl, slice the pears thinly and scatter over the watercress along with the almonds. Easy.
3. If you’re not barbequing, heat up a frying pan or griddle pan to a medium-high heat. While it’s getting hot, slice the bread buns, spread the inside of the bottom buns with mustard, place the gherkins on top followed by some watercress and slice the tomatoes. Grill the burgers for 2 minutes on each side followed by 3 minutes on each side, or until golden, before individually placing into the buns and topping with the slices of tomato. Serve with the side salad and enjoy!